If you have little ones that like to assist you in the kitchen, these cookies are both easy and colorful to make. Capturing the sweet flavor of a birthday cake, these are a great idea to package and gift for children. Or adults—there’s no judgment given to those of us who are children trapped in an adult’s body. Appease your inner-child this season!
Melissa L. Brinley, Test Kitchen Professional
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup assorted sprinkles
- Garnish: assorted sprinkles
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 1/3 cups sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extract, beating to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating to combine. Add cream, beating to combine. Beat in sprinkles. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a 1-inch spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough, and roll into balls. Roll in remaining 2/3 cup sugar. Place at least 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Garnish cookies with additional sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Store, covered, at room temperature for up to 1 week.