A perfect weekend morning recipe, these Baked Grits and Eggs are filling and delicious.
Baked Grits and Eggs
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
1 hr 40 min
1 hr 40 min
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups white stone-ground grits
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 9 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (5-ounce) block fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 (5-ounce) bag shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small Dutch oven, bring stock to a boil. Stir in grits, garlic, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35 to 45 minutes or until tender and thickened. Remove from heat.
- Crack 3 eggs in a small bowl; whisk in 1 cup hot grits. Stir egg mixture into remaining hot grits. Whisk in cream, fontina, Parmesan, and butter. Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until grits are mostly set. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 6 shallow indentations in grits; crack remaining 6 eggs into indentations. Bake 10 minutes more or until eggs reach desired degree of doneness. Sprinkle with tomato, chives, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Celebrate Magazine http://www.celebratemag.com/